Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Driving Miss Daisy, New guitar


While the rest of the USA hunkers down in record low tempereatures, here in Sun City, AZ where I have been now for over 5 weeks, we walked in shirtsleeves this afternoon, and swam laps in an outdoor pool yesterday! The citrus is coming ripe, so enjoying oranges and tangelos before we head for the NW on the 24th. John is due to arrive in just over a week- this is the longest we have ever been seperated...I get giddy just thinking about his upcoming arrival! (Sorry, John!)

Mom continues to improve- she began doing laps again about 5 days ago, but after 3 days, had some mildly disturbing symptoms so she is back to waterwalking again for a bit. Dad thinks she was doing too much too fast. By the time I swim laps with mom, then go to the gym for a long run on the treadmill or on the elliptical machine with dad, I should be in better shape than ever before. I've enjoyed meeting mom and dad's friends, one widower who has come to dinner twice with us. I joke about "Driving Miss Daisy" daily, but what fun we have! One day, while doing the grocery shopping, I set out to find mom after being seperated from her. I figured it would be easy- just scan the aisles for the short, whitehaired lady. However, since this is a retirement community, there were very few who didn't meet that description!

Today was another milestone, as Mom stepped out without me to go to lunch with 5 girlfriends, and do some cardmaking. Found myself listening for the phone! I had a commitment with one of their friends here at the house for a guitar "lesson"- Dick had helped me do the EBay purchase of my new travel guitar, and had offered to give me some hints and play some. Very worthwhile 2 hours. Now, if I can only remember it all! Been trying to use my time wisely and play as much as possible.
Jack Deere: "A passion for God has to be guarded and cultivated or we will los it. Almost every good thing in my life is all too ready to compete for my time and intimacy with God. The essence of all of life is loving God and then loving His people"


1 comment:

  1. Hello John; I know you are waiting for Penny to return. It has been lonesome for you and I am sorry. My car gave Penny problems. I had it fixed and then kicked the tires. Shame on it for being so UN friendly......Great pleasure to be with Penny. Missed you.
    Will keep you both in prayer. 96° there. Sounds great. 32° here. Brrrrrrrr. Love, June

    ReplyDelete