Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Over the rivers and thru the mud, to Grandma's house we go

Well, I am now in Sun City, AZ, at my parent's home. Got a call last Wednesday that mom had thrown a few pulmonary emboli, one lodged in her pulmonary artery, and that she was being started on anticoagulant therapy and oxygen at home. It seemed best to go quickly, as I was the most free of us siblings. John worked hard to get me to San Pedro Friday night- by God's grace, the bridge that had washed out the previous Monday was repaired late thursday, allowing us to cross by truck instead of canoe and a long hike! I was prepared with my crocs and easy-wash sports clothes, but wasn't necessary. I arrived here Saturday night, and have settled in for the time being.
Mom is stable, just waiting for her energy to return and for her need for oxygen to decrease. The cardiologist today suggested that at least 2 more weeks of oxygen, and then they would do an office test to see if we could begin weaning. She is still very weak and short of breath. Her appetite is slowly returning with a lot of enticing. I'm enjoying the return to being a "homemaker" again, as there hasn't been much time for that these past 4 years. Finding old favorites to cook for mom. Trying to give Dad a bit of a break from the doctor's visits, cleaning and erranding that have comsumed his time. for now, I am on a US cell phone, 509-431-1885 or on my folk's home phone, 623-972-1300.

No comments:

Post a Comment