Monday, March 7, 2011

An Unasked-for Day of Rest March 6, 2011

Penny writes most of our notes.  Once and a while, especially if it is a happy baby story, it falls to me.  This is not a baby story, but I think that if I don't write it, it will confirm what some think, that John is in a state of "Chronic Denial"  or chronically "out in the ozone".

Today I was allowed to honor the Sabbath.  Penny did not. (hm, he must be speaking about a REST!  Penny) She spent the morning sharing about the work at Loma de Luz, with a church in Sedona, Arizona.  It's my brother's church, among our earliest supporters.  It was not something that she was looking forward to alone.  But her sharing, with each of the morning services, was well received.  She came away very encouraged.

I did something that I have never done.  I read the entire book of  John in one sitting, with some little interruptions.  But the point is that I got a different overall picture.  I really enjoyed it.  I was also challenged to think about the meaningfulness of our lives.

Probably the most annoying interruption was the tearing off of one series of chest EKG lead patches to arrange another set.  I would estimate about 40 patches, all together.  Since I started the day with a normal chest of hair, I still had some at the end of the day, but there are some bare and nearly bloody spots.  Another less-than-fun interruption was running on a treadmill.  But it was ok- "normal heart rate change" and "normal blood pressure change",   "No S-T wave changes", and "random isolated ectopic beats". The nicest line on the results was "cardiac output =  20% above average".  Its good to be above average in something.  I almost drifted off during the 15 minute Nuclear Contrast Uptake scan.  That was OK, too. We'd lost a night's sleep with ? chest pain.  The nice young fellow who discharged me from the hospital more or less asked "Have you tried any antacids?"

So in the end they sent me home with the routine warnings.  Of course most of the nurses and doctors had learned that we live in Honduras.  At least one severely challenged me with the idea that we should not be returning home this week.  I told her that I did not want to die sitting in a chair.    She said "OH!, I understand, but you know I have to cover my---" and she patted her backside.

18 months ago, a hero of mine collaped and died behind the pulpit.  That is how I want to go (figuratively speaking, of course). I need to think this thru, tho, as that would be very distressing for a young pregnant patient. So perhaps carrying a backpack up the trail to the clinic in Satal,  No, it would be better, coming back down the trail from the clinic.  Now you all know, not a word of this is to be mentioned to Xiomara (the faithful young lady who has worked with me for about four years now).

Penny and I easily talked about some of the things that come up at these eye-opener times of our lives, as we returned south to near Sun City, AZ.after late afternoon discharge.  I think that we were in pretty good agreement.

5 comments:

  1. The best place to "go" is the same as the best place to "be" which is in the middle of God's will for you!

    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we grow older and supposedly wiser, we know how important it is to take care of ourselves, mentally, spiritually and of course physically. I wish my parents would have taken care of them selves better, as their days are not day of joe anymore. Carla and I exercise in some way, every day. It is so helpfull for the body and the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interestingly and well said, John--and Penny. Several members of our family wanted to die in the saddle with their boots on!

    We love you! Amber and I really missed seeing you on Roatan. Thanks to you, however, we really enjoyed spending the day with Xiomara and her lovely family. Amber can hardly wait to see you once again in Honduras in September.

    From your admiring cousin, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. John and Penny, It was good talking to you yesterday by phone. God is in control and will keep you healthy as long as he has work for you to do.

    Blessings.

    Dan and Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,
    What a wonderful book to read! Aren't you glad your parents chose to name you after a man who was known as "the disciple whom Jesus loved". John, your humble sweet ways must be a blessing to our Heavenly Father. We pray for God to continue to give you rest in Him and contentment doing His works.

    Penny, may God continue to shine through you as you encourage everyone you meet.
    We praise the Lord for the blessing that both of you are!!
    The Dudley Family ;D

    ReplyDelete